I asked on Instagram if you would want to know what Oakley eats in a day and a lot of you said “Yes!”. So here it is! Before I share, I do want to say that Tanner is in school to be a Chiropractor and he has learned so much about nutrition in his classes, that we are very careful what we feed Oakley. I am also careful with what I eat now because of my Ulcerative Colitis, so it makes it easy to feed him what we eat since we already eat nutritious foods!
Tanner and I eat a Specific Carbohydrate Diet. That means, no processed/added sugars, no gluten, no grains, no fun, jk haha (kinda). I really love my fatty and sugary foods so much and we have agreed to eat those foods 2 times a month on date nights 🙂 We let Oakley eat pasta noodles with sauce even if we aren’t eating them, but it’ll be like gluten-free pasta or Chick-pea powder pasta or whatever looks good from Sprouts! So he gets to have some of those foods for “fun” if we don’t already have food prepared for him. Below are some different variations I make for each of his meals and I hope it gives you some new ideas to try with your little one!
Just a few things we do based off a TON of research and Parental Instinct. Remember, this is just what we do for our family, which means it might not be what’s right for yours.
***I season most of his food with Salt and Pepper and I think it helps him eat better, although sometimes it’s not seasoned and he still eats it, so who knows haha
***We only buy organic fruits and veggies and the meat he eats is grass-fed or wild-caught
***We don’t give him cereals or any snacks similar like that. We just don’t see the nutritional value, but we do give him pouches if we are on the airplane or on a road trip and can’t stop to eat anywhere. We also give him pieces of LaraBar if we offer a snack
***The only juice we will give him is fresh pressed juice that we make ourselves, but we don’t give him juice that often
***We don’t mind him eating cheese, but we try to have raw, grass-fed white cheddar cheese stocked in the fridge
***The fruits we give him are: raspberries, blueberries, bananas, grapes, watermelon, canned peaches/pears (they are easier for him to eat since they’re soft-make sure they are only in fruit juice instead of concentrate), pineapple and applesauce, strawberries, tomatoes and mangos.
***The baked veggies he eats are: carrots, zucchini, sweet potato, broccoli, and butternut squash
***He always drinks water after mealtime
- Scrambled eggs, 1/2 banana and a few pieces of raspberries
- Hard-boiled eggs, canned peaches or pears (we try to limit how much canned fruits we give to him)
- Ezekiel Bread with peanut butter or almond butter with fresh fruit. I warm the bread up in the microwave for 10 seconds
- Spinach and mushroom omelet. He doesn’t know how to chew the mushrooms yet, but he likes to suck on them! Any cooked veggies would be good with this!
- Baked or Rotisserie Chicken(I always have this on hand), baked carrots, grass-fed-raw white cheddar cheese and fresh fruit
- Baked or canned salmon, 1/2 avocado (his favorite!) and fresh fruit. He just tried watermelon for the first time this week and it’s a new fave!
- Homemade chicken salad: (I only give him the halved grapes and chicken, but we make it with the Primal Kitchen mayo), raw white cheddar cheese (shredded from the block-easier for him to eat) and fresh fruit
- Baked Sweet Potato, canned tuna or salmon, baked beans (smashed or as is) and fresh fruit
- Quesadilla with raw white cheddar cheese (I use the Siete Almond Flour tortillas that are at Whole Foods or Sprouts), fresh fruit or canned fruit, avocado
- Spaghetti noodles (gluten-free or Chickpea) with organic pasta sauce, fresh fruit and chicken or black beans
- Chicken or Salmon, baked carrots(or any other veggies that we are eating), avocado and fruit
- Ground Beef, tomatoes (grape tomatoes cut up), shredded cheese and fresh fruit
Oakley will eat these foods in some variation every week and I like to keep it interesting for him so he doesn’t get used to eating one food or meal all the time. If you have any meals your kiddos love, share them below! I love knowing what mamas are feeding their kids so I can try it with Oakley!